WINNER: Grand Prize Winner
By Theresa G., Mary L., wanda n. and Todd B. from South Education Center Alternative (S.E.C.A.), Richfield, MN 55423.
Served as an entrée this healthy mouth watering turkey burger is high in protein with just the right amount of spices and a kick of sweet cranberries. All served on whole wheat or whole grain buns. It is delicious and nutritious in an appetizing new way to get kids to eat healthy.
Serving size: 2 oz
|From Saturated Fat||4%|
|From Sugar||5 g%|
|Ingredient||6 servings||50 servings|
|medium grain brown rice||1/2 cup||4 cups|
|vegetable oil||1 T||1/2 cup|
|yellow onions, minced||2 T||1 cup|
|garlic, minced||1 sm clove||1/4 cup|
|celery, washed and minced||1 small stalk||1 head|
|lean ground turkey||16 oz||8 lbs.|
|dried cranberries, rough chopped||2 T||1 cup|
|spinach leaf, well washed, drained, stems removed, chopped||3/4 cup||6 cups|
|eggs||2 large||16 large|
|salt||1/2 tsp||4 tsp|
|black pepper||1/2 tsp||4 tsp|
|Worschestershire Sauce||1 tsp||8 tsp|
|crushed red pepper||1 scant pinch||1 tsp|
For Sandwiches: 12/96 small multigrain or whole grain rolls Tomato, sliced Red Onion, thinly sliced (optional) Condiments – your choice
- Wash and sanitize hands, utensils and all equipment to be used.
- To cook rice: follow package instructions for cooking brown rice. When cooked, transfer to a plate and cool completely in refrigerator. This can be done up to a full day ahead.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a skillet sauté onions, celery and garlic in oil until soft, about 5 minutes. Transfer to refrigerator and cool completely.
- In a large mixing bowl combine all ingredients including cooked rice and cooked onion mixture and mix well.
- Portion into 2.5 oz patties the diameter of buns onto a parchment lined baking pan. Bake at 350F for 12-18 minutes (time will vary depending on oven. Use a thermometer to check starting at 12 minutes) until turkey is at an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. Avoid overcooking – the lean turkey will dry out if cooked too long.
- Serve on mini whole grain rolls with optional lettuce, tomato, red onion and condiments.