WINNER: First Place (Whole Grains)
By Emily W., Kara S. and Amanda S. from Winograd K-8, Greeley, CO.
Not typically found at your local fast food restaurant, this whole wheat pasta dish is bright and fun with fresh broccoli, chicken and melty cheese. With a little spice of black pepper, this main dish is anything but ordinary.
Serving size: 1 1/2 cups
|From Saturated Fat||7.34%|
|Ingredient||6 servings||50 servings|
|Whole Wheat Penne Pasta||3 3/4 cup/11 1/2 ozs||30 3/4 cups/6 lbs|
|Raw Broccoli Florettes||2 3/4 cup/6 ozs||22 1/4 cups/3 lbs +2 ozs|
|Precooked Chicken Strips||3/4 cup/3 7/8 oz||6 1/4 cups/2 lbs|
|Reduced Fat Cheddar Cheese (shredded)||1/2 cup/2 ozs||4 cups/1 lb|
|Mozzarella Cheese (shredded)||1/2 cup/2 ozs||4 cups/1 lb|
|Non-fat Milk||2 tbsp + 2 5/8 tsp/1.5 oz||1 1/2 cups/12 oz|
|Low Sodium Chicken Broth||1 Tbsp + 2 3/4 tsp/1 oz||1 cup/8 oz|
|Salt||3/4 tsp/1 g||2 Tbsp/34 g|
|Ground Black Pepper||3/4 tsp/1 g||2 Tbsp/34 g|
1) Cook pasta in a stockpot of boiling water or in a steamer or 15 minutes—until crisp tender (or according to manufacturer’s instructions).
2) Drain pasta and rinse with cool water.
3) Drain pasta again and place pasta in a 13x 9x 2” cooking dish (for 6 servings) or a 4” steamtable pan(s) (for 50 servings).
4) Place broccoli in a stockpot of boiling water or a steamer for about 5 minutes.
5) Drain broccoli (if necessary) and immediately rinse with cool water.
6) Drain broccoli again and pour on top of pasta in cooking dish or steamtable pan(s).
7) Top pasta and broccoli with THAWED pre-cooked chicken strips (chop chicken if pieces are too large) in cooking dish or steamtable pan.
8) Sprinkle pasta mixture evenly with shredded cheddar cheese and shredded mozzarella.
9) In a mixing bowl, combine milk, chicken broth, salt and pepper.
10) Pour milk mixture evenly over the pasta mixture and mix with a spoon.
11) Cover the baking dish or steamtable pan(s) with foil.
12) Bake until mixture is bubbly and cheese is melted.
Conventional Oven: 350°F for 30 minutes Convection Oven: 325°F for 25 minutes
CCP: Heat to 165°F or higher for at least 15 seconds
CCP: Hold for hot service at 135°F or higher