Cajun Yam Chips/Cooling Dip
By June P. from Venice High, Venice, CA.
This is the perfect snack or side dish. It is hot and sweet with a cooling yogurt based ranch style dip. This is a palate pleaser and was enjoyed by over 200 students in the culinary program, at Venice High. Many of the students commented that they never knew a yam could be so tasty and simple to prepare. Inexpensive to prepare and packed with vitamins A & C , this recipe is filling, in a good way. A far cry from commercial chips.
Serving size: 1/4 cup
|From Saturated Fat||10%%|
|Ingredient||6 servings||50 servings|
|Medium Yams||5 Yams/2 1/4 lb||40 - 50 Yams/18 - 20 lbs|
|Vegetable Oil||2 Tbsp.||1/2 cup/4 oz|
|Cajun Seasoning||1-2 tsp||1.25 Ounces/4 Tbsp.|
|Plain Yogurt||1/2 cup/4 Ounces||1 Qt./4 cups|
|Mayonnaise||1/2 cup/4 Ounces||1 Qt./4 cups|
|Shallot or Onion Minced||1 Tbsp.||4 Ounces/1/2 cup|
|Beau Monde Seasoning||1 tsp.||.45 Ounce/4 tsp.|
375F Preheated Oven
- Wash and Dry Yams, leaving skin on
- Brush half sheet pan with 1 Tbsp. Vegetable Oil
- Slice yams into ¼-1/3” slices at a diagonal and place on to pan
- Brush the tops of yams with another 1Tbsp Vegetable Oil
- Sprinkle ½ -3/4 tsp Cajun Seasoning onto yams, evenly
- Bake at 375F for fifteen minutes, until tender to the touch
- Serve hot or cold with the dip on the side
Dip Preparation: Mix yogurt ,mayonnaise, seasoning, and minced shallot or onion together, well. Refrigerate until use.