Tuscan Smoked Turkey & Bean Soup
WINNER: First Place (Dry Beans and Peas)
By Susan B., Denny T., Sarah C. and Tara J. from Ira B. Jones Elementary, Asheville, North Carolina.
A bowl of our hearty soup will tantalize your taste buds with the smoky flavor of tender turkey chunks & the rich aroma of our seasoned broth. Simmered with a colorful array of healthy vegetables, this entrée is sure to tease & please the senses and warm the toes!
Serving size: 1 cup (8 oz.)
|From Saturated Fat||4.37%|
|Ingredient||6 servings||50 servings|
|Dried Navy Beans||4 ¼ oz||2 lbs + 4oz.|
|Fresh Kale-Chopped||2 oz||17 oz.|
|Fresh Onion-Diced||2 oz||17 oz.|
|Fresh Celery-Diced||1.5 oz||12 ½ oz.|
|Fresh Carrots-Diced||1.5 oz||12 ½ oz.|
|Tomato Paste||1.5 Tbs||¾ cup|
|Fresh Garlic-Minced||1 Tbs||½ c. + 1 tsp|
|Chicken Stock (Low Sodium-Non MSG)||32 oz||2 gal + 1 ½ c.|
|Fresh Parsley-Chopped||½ Tbs||4 Tbs.|
|Fresh Thyme-Chopped||½ Tbs||4 Tbs.|
|Fresh Basil-Chopped||½ Tbs||4 Tbs.|
|Black Pepper||1/8 tsp||1 tsp.|
|Salt (optional)||¼ tsp||2 tsp.|
|Smoked Turkey – Diced||-||3 lbs. + 2 oz.|
CCP: Heat to 165 degrees F or higher for at least 15 seconds
1) Soak & cook dried navy beans according to manufacturer’s directions. Quick chill and refrigerate until use.
2) Wash all vegetables before use. Place kale, diced vegetables, tomato paste & garlic in stock pot. Sweat vegetable mixture over medium-high heat until vegetables are softened and onions are translucent. Stir frequently.
3) Add chicken stock, cooked beans, salt and pepper to vegetable mixture.
4) Reduce temperature to medium/low heat. Cover with lid and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir occasionally.
5) Add diced smoked turkey and fresh herbs to soup and simmer a minimum of 10 additional minutes.
VEGETARIAN OPTION Omit smoked turkey, substitute vegetable stock for chicken stock and add 1/8 tsp. liquid hickory smoke flavoring.